Thursday 5 June 2014

Finding Joy



Heart Connections



Finding Joy

I am reading a wonderful book right now by Jennifer Louden that is really helping me to apply many of the spiritual lessons I have learned over the years. To know something intellectually is one thing, but to incorporate it into your life is often a huge challenge. That takes time and commitment, as well as tools that work for you.
 In Life Organizer, Jennifer has shared some simple strategies to help us focus our minds and open our hearts. It is definitely helping me. I am taking the time (some days more than others) to hear what my heart has to say, and doing my best to honour that wisdom. The result is, I feel more joy and less stress. I am also gaining new insights, peeling away more layers and going deeper within.
 If you want to have a closer connection with your heart, an easy way to start is to think of your heart as an old friend you have been ignoring, and begin paying attention to it. Most of us spend far more time in our heads than our hearts. Simply taking a little time each day to breathe into your heart, pause, and feel the energy that is there, is a great beginning. I personally know that I have connected with my heart when I break out with a big smile and feel myself relax. Once you make this connection, (for each of us it will be unique) you will want to keep going back for more, and as you do, you will build a relationship with yourself that will change your life from the inside out!
Like any relationship it requires time and some give and take. Ask a lot of questions, and listen, really listen. The questions are the gateway to hearing the wisdom your heart has to offer. Think of your heart as an amazing guide that can help you understand what it is that makes you feel joyful and what you can do to be there more often.
It really is quite easy, just ask your heart simple questions, like, what experience do you yearn for today, or what does my body need to feel loved and cared for? When you are ready, the questions can go deeper, for example you can ask,  if I did not feel vulnerable what would I like to do, what emotions am I holding back, etc. Try to make sure after you have received some feedback that you follow through with any actions needed to honour that wisdom. It is a good idea to keep a journal with the answers and insights you receive. I find it really rewarding to look back in my journals and see the progress I've have made, or be reminded of something I had forgot.  
One of the things I learned through this process is that I often avoid feeling vulnerable. I seldom take risks and as a consequence I think I have missed out on some experiences that could have brought great joy and growth. I now encourage  myself to do things, (especially if I have avoided them in the past) because they make me feel uncomfortable ( sharing my writing and personal thoughts)
 I  have also learned (on a feeling level) the difference between joy and happiness. Both are an important part of our lives, but it is empowering to understand and embrace the difference. For me, joy comes from within, and is always there, like a peaceful river... happiness is fleeting, and comes from an external experiences. The good news is, to find joy we need only build a relationship with our hearts and souls and enjoy the love that is always there.
So my friends, thanks again for listening, supporting one of my passions, and helping me to feel less vulnerable. If this sparks something within you, I hope you will go after the love, wisdom, and joy your heart is waiting to share with you. 
  



From the Heart 

I am here for you,
in the quiet moments,
in the hustle and confusion...
I am a breath away,
come join me
in the vast oasis 
of love and pure joy
that is you home...

pb

No comments:

Post a Comment