Tuesday 28 December 2021

Lightkeepers

 



A few years ago I wrote a blog celebrating the uplifting emotions we associate with Christmas and I realize now how short sighted I was. The past few Christmas's most of us have been on an emotional roller coaster ride, doing our best to take things in stride. Those of us that can be with our family are counting our blessings, very aware many others will not have that opportunity. The pandemic has not only taken far too many lives, but has systematically altered the way we live them, including how we celebrate Christmas. Understandably, it has had a huge impact on our emotional wellbeing, as well as the way we look at life. It has definitely helped me gain a broader, more compassionate perspective of the "feelings" of Christmas. 

In perfect world, Christmas should be an uplifting, joyful time for everyone, but unfortunately it is not. For many people it is a time that magnifies emotions, especially those those struggling with depression, health issues, loss, or stress. The season, best known for bringing peace and joy can also be a trigger for depression, loneliness, and anxiety, and we need to acknowledge and have compassion for the duality. That contrast of emotions became apparent to me the other day when I was dropping off gifts to dear friends of mine. I felt the joy that comes from sharing, tinged with the sadness of being limited to a quick visit at the door. Safe to say, Christmas has always stirred up a mixed bag of emotions, it just seems more painfully apparent to many of us now.

Given our circumstances, it's important that we are kind and gentle with ourselves and one another, and allow whatever feelings surface to be expressed in a safe, non judgmental space. During these extraordinarily stressful times I also feel it is very important that we do our best to share our light with one another so we don't lose hope. A compassionate heart and little acts of kindness, like sharing Christmas baking, or calling someone, might be the spark of light that brightens someone's day and fuels their optimism. By reaching out we are saying, I hope you know I care, I hope you know you're not alone, I hope things get better soon, too... We are sharing hope. 

So, in the mix of all the emotions you'll feel this season, I wish you many joyful, uplifting ones. I also pray you find reasons to feel hope and optimism in the New Year, so you might become a "lightkeeper" and shine that bright beautiful light of yours into a world that desperately needs that right now.



The light of love

shines brightest

in the smallest of gifts,

a kind word,

a thoughtful deed,

a listening ear,

what greater gift 

than sparks of light and love

that might blossom into hope...


love and light,

Penny Bowman





1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written Penny..I feel your love and light in your friendship and caring ways...where there is light there is an opening of hope.

    ReplyDelete