Thursday 14 November 2013

Seeing with our Hearts


Building Connections




Recently the weather has taken a quick turn, and mother nature has given us a forceful reminder that winter is quickly approaching. As I write, it is a very frigid November morning, and with the wind chill, nineteen below! The ground is bearing the burden of a heavy frost, and I am feeling inclined to stay inside where my spirit and toes are warmed by sight and smell of the wood fire's dancing flames.
Since my last blog I have been trying to heed my own advice and spend more time mindfully. Perhaps it was partly due to the quick departure of seasonal temperatures, but I found myself feeling a little lost and disconnected.  After some journaling, meditation and healing work with a gifted friend, I accepted the fact that it was my own doing ( not the weather) and that I could turn things around with a little more effort and focus ( the latter being a challenge for me).  
As a part of my work, I realised that from an early age I had built an invisible  barrier between myself and others to avoid being hurt. Since it had reared it's invisible head, I figured now was the time to begin the healing process if I wanted the rewards of feeling more connected. I was not sure where to begin, for, like many others, this, I knew, was a life long strategy that was supported by a host of mistaken beliefs. In meditation I was told to see through my heart. I was not exactly sure what was being implied, ( other than the obvious) but I was happy to begin my work in such a warm, comfy place.
 I began the journey with love, forgiveness, and faith for I knew I was not alone and would be guided if I only asked. 
To see with my heart, to me, meant being in better touch with my heart. I set to work using my trusty allies, meditation, journaling, and introspection. As well, I paid closer attention to those delicious quiet pauses during the day when we often get our ah ha's. 
Our hearts are so majestic, it was time beautifully spent. I found of course, the more attention I paid to my heart, the more I felt a deeper connection within myself. I realised that this was what I needed to foster first. As I re-connected with my heart, it had the wonderful effect of helping me to feel my daily experiences on a deeper level..
This became very clear ( I love it when I get positive feedback) when I went to see the production of Les Miserables in Toronto this past weekend. I really enjoy live theatre, but I experienced it on a much deeper level than I ever had. I found myself taking a breath and closing my eyes during poignant songs so I could feel the emotion and savour the beautiful music more fully. I was brought to tears a few times, my heart touched deeply, and I felt an appreciation for the performers and the magnitude of work that went into the production. It was an experience I shall always remember and treasure.
 As I was reminiscing while I was writing this blog, I discovered that if I closed my eyes, and yes, took a breath, I could experience the same feelings again.The rewards of taking the time to re- connect with my heart.
I am feeling grateful and inspired by this experience. I realize that my spiritual work will be ongoing, but so will the rewards! I share it in the hopes that it may help others to remember to take time each day to pause, listen, and spend time with this beautiful gift we all share.



The Eyes of Love


to see with our hearts
   is but a soft breath away,
 mindful focus
that can gently bring us  
to exquisite moments
of beauty, peace and joy,

to see with our hearts
 is but a beautiful mirror,
 reflecting
 the kindred pulse of humanity
that magically connects us
 through the divine eyes of love...


PB




No comments:

Post a Comment