Wednesday 4 March 2015

Awakening the Artist Within...












One of the reasons I am drawn to writing is because I love words and their infinite potential to inspire us. They also provide a rich eclectic base to dive into when we want to communicate, entertain, or inform, but my love for them lies not so much in their practical applications, but in their creative potential. Words are paint for a writer, we lovingly choose them, then carefully arrange them on our canvas to produce our masterpiece. Words can be powerful, but I see them more like a kaleidoscope, with a certain magical quality that leaves them open to diverse expression and personal interpretations.
For many of  the same reasons I like words, I also have a passion for photography. I love to immerse myself in beautiful images. With this medium we also have the opportunity to inspire ... to capture and create works of art that provoke not only an emotional response, but an invitation to interpret and appreciate beauty for it's own sake. 
Whatever the medium, creativity sparks the soul. Through the process of creating we are drawn to the miracle that resides within each of us. Kindred spirits, we seek the opportunity to express the best part of ourselves, our unique essence, that when nurtured, can be mirrored back to us in art...
I never felt creative growing up. I loved sports and being active outdoors. I felt I failed miserably in both art and creative writing in school. I have since come to learn there is an artist within me, in fact, I believe we are all artists. I think every one of us has a creative flair, that unfortunately, often goes unrecognised. It begins with something that touches us deeply and compels us to explore. Once that connection is ignited, it is difficult to extinguish. Whether it is expressed with our voices, our pen, a lens, wood, glass, paper, fabric or by appreciating and supporting the arts, creativity is a gift within each of us that serves us all. 
I believe when we connect with our creativity we are accessing a part of us that has a depth and beauty that brings light not only to ourselves, but to those we share it with. 
Cultivating the artist within is a journey worth taking, if you have not begun it yourself, perhaps it is time to ask... what stirs your soul ... what will wake up the artist in you??









like a flower reaching out
towards the early morning sun,

once we open our hearts
to that which inspires,
once we feel its soft embrace
awaken our soul,
 we light the fire within,
and we become
part of the miracle...

Penny Bowman

No comments:

Post a Comment