Saturday 8 August 2015

Feeding the Soul...




Georgian Bay Paddle



One of the outings I treasure the most in my life is my annual summer kayak in Georgian Bay. It is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to as well as one of the most serene.(We always check the weather so we are going on a paddle friendly, serene provoking day, Georgian Bay can be very moody...)
 When we go, we access the bay from the boat launch at Chikanishing Creek, which is part of Killarney Provincial Park, and only a km or so away from the park office. Once we launch it is a short paddle before we get to the mouth of this gentle creek and enter the mighty Georgian Bay. Even though it can be intimidating to be in such a small craft in such a large body of water, I can always feel myself relax as I revel in the feel of the wind on my face and take in the expansive view of water (at times turquoise) that comes quickly into view.
As I fall into a rhythm with my paddle, I feel at home, surrounded by blue sky, endless water, and majestic rocky islands. As we paddle, the islands seem familiar, like pieces of inspired art painted in beautiful earth tones. I am particularly drawn to the rich, orange hues and the contrasting smooth and ragged textures that make up the unique islands that are scattered along the shoreline. It is paddle heaven, as we make our way through the canvas that seems to have come alive.
One of the reasons I enjoy the trip so much is because it wakes me up inside. Hungry for inspiration, my spirit comes alive in the natural wonders that surrounds us and it is energized with every stroke of the paddle. Visually it is stunning, but it is also very serene to be one with this magnificent body of water. Stopping for shore lunches only adds to the magic as we feel the smooth rock beneath our feet and get a new perspective of the miracle that surrounds us.
This annual trek is one of the many ways I feed my soul, perhaps my favourite. How do you feed yours? Is it through nature, photography, painting, or perhaps spending time with your children or grandchildren...If you are not sure, take the time to notice what makes you smile without apparent cause, or what makes you feel relaxed and at home in your own skin, when you are content to be where you are, and when you feel inspired to create....When we feed our soul, it becomes alive, and if we listen, it will speak to us. In return, our soul will nourish us and compels us to live more fully. Connecting with our soul helps us to appreciate the miracle of life and share our joy with others. Happy soul feeding!

No comments:

Post a Comment