Friday 23 December 2022

Remembering.... The Best Gifts We Can Share

 




Giving gifts at Christmas is a lovely tradition that brings a lot of joy on one day, but as I was wrapping my gifts the other night, I remembered something I wrote last year, "the best gifts are the ones we share every day, often without even knowing it," and I wondered if Mac knew...

Mac was a former neighbor of mine who recently passed away. On hearing the news, the first thing I felt was a sense of relief, thinking he would finally be at peace. Mac suffered from dementia and hearing loss, which created many challenges for him and his wife. After the initial feeling of relief, I felt sad for his wonderful wife Rose, who was a devoted caregiver and undeniable blessing in his life. Selfishly, I also felt sad because I knew I would never receive one of his big bear hugs again or feel the sense of peace I often felt when I was with him.

Mac was one of those people who had a way of making my heart feel lighter. From the moment I met him I felt a kinship, perhaps because he reminded me of my father in law, who I adored, or perhaps because he was just a very kind, intuitive man who had a gentle way about him that put me at ease. I felt seen when I was with him.

Mac was also a passionate man who openly expressed his love and admiration and for his wife Rose. She was, especially in the last few years, the wind beneath his wings, and he told me on many occasions how fortunate he felt to have her. Mac was also passionate about his beloved dogs and his vacations in Portugal, and no matter how many times he shared stories about them, it was a treat, for his enthusiasm was contagious. Being with Mac was like being showered in good energy.

Unfortunately, Mac, like so many others, has passed during a time when it is difficult to get together to pay our respects. I share this remembrance of him to express my gratitude for the blessing both he and his wife were in my life, something they most likely never realized, for they were words unspoken.

These little gifts that Mac, and all of us share everyday with friends and family and neighbors, really are the best gifts we could ever give, especially at Christmas when so many people are stressed by the season or struggling with difficult emotions. These little gifts cost nothing, but really can bring comfort and joy to hearts in need. So reach out to someone today and share your beautiful light, I guarantee it will make a difference in their day.

Finally, dear, sweet, Mac, I hope you know that even though you were not a big part of my life, when you were in it you made a big difference... just by being you. Thank you for seeing me, thank you for your kindness, gentle nature, and open heart, I felt uplifted every time we met, even when it was just in passing. My heart is so grateful for having known you, thankyou for sharing your beautiful light and reminding me how much that can mean to those we share it with. 


love and light back at you,

Penny


  

No comments:

Post a Comment