Tuesday 11 February 2014

Fragility and Strength




Feathered Friends



It is nearing the end of a very long winter and as I watch the birds at the feeders outside our living room windows I feel inspired. They are such fragile, tiny creatures with such extraordinary strength. These amazing birds endure temperatures of forty below along with wind gusts that have toppled trees down like match sticks! I marvel how such tiny bodies can survive such harsh conditions and I wonder if it is more than instinct that keeps them alive.
 These fascinating little creatures bring a smile to my heart every time I watch them hurry and compete with one another to get the seeds that will somehow nourish them. Perhaps it is the long winter or the time spent alone, but I have come to see them as having human characteristics ( I am not naming them yet and inviting them in for dinner, so I think I am okay).
 Some of the birds, like the chickadees, seem happy and content all the time. When I go out and fill the feeders, even though I cannot see them, they let me know with their cheery greeting that they are pleased to see me (okay, pleased to see the food.). Some of my other feathered friends ( yes, I called them friends) like the blue jay, are not quite as cheery, and are often sporting a scowl. As a matter of fact, I swear they give me dirty looks when I stand between them and the feeder.
 Although the blue jays are some of the most beautiful birds, they tend to be bullies, chasing the smaller birds away, intimidating them with their larger size (and scowl I suppose). Thankfully, not all the birds are afraid of them. There is a beautiful downy woodpecker that feeds at the same spot who remains calm and stands his ground as the blue jay squawks his impatience. I have noticed that it is the bullies who fly away at the first glimpse of someone approaching, while the smaller birds have the courage to remain at the feeder, calmly munching on their snack. The finches and chickadees are always flitting from feeder to branch, the happy go lucky sort, while the woodpeckers seem very serious and focused on their task. (type A personalities...work work, work! )
 I love to take pictures of the birds and I often have a chuckle when I get a good look at their expressions     ( yes, they have expressions). Just the other day for example, I got a shot of a finch, which I swear, looked like it was depressed ( lack of sunlight perhaps) seriously, it's eyes looked so sad I was ready to refer him to a good "psycho" therapist I know...The blue jays are particularly expressive, unfortunately, most of the time they seem very angry....not sure if they don't like getting their picture taken or they don't like the hand that feeds them! Either way, it seems a bit rude...  The finches and chickadees on the other hand, appear happy to let me take pictures, and sometimes, ( no, I am not crazy) they seem to be posing... Well, it has been a long winter!!
Whatever their temperament or motives, I am truly grateful to have the opportunity to watch these delightful creatures who exhibit such fragility and strength. I suppose if they can thrive in spite of the harsh winter, I should be thankful for the inspiration and smiles they bring, quit complaining about the winter, and count my blessings!



Feathered Friends

I marvel at 
such beauty and grace
as you pause, 
 delicately balanced,
on your slender throne,
And I wonder...
if you knew
 just how miraculous you are,
how much we admire
 your fragility and strength,
if you knew
the comfort and simple joy
you bring,
would you be less timid,
  would pride puff your feathers out
 just a little more
my feathered friends?

God bless

PBowman



No comments:

Post a Comment