Monday 21 December 2015

It's All About the Connection





Heart to Heart




It's that time of year when everyone is shopping for Christmas gifts. We spend weeks going in and out of stores choosing that special something, then hours tangled up in wrapping paper and bows. Ironically, we spend more time getting the presents than we do thinking about the recipient and being present with them.

We do this despite the fact that the gifts we tend to treasure are the simple ones that touch our hearts and connect us. For example, one of  my favourite presents is a painting my "adopted" grandsons created using a little paint and a lot of imagination. Every time I look at that masterpiece, it makes me smile, and reminds me of them. Another of my sentimental favourites, is a cutting board my daughter gave several family members last Christmas that she had one of  her grandmother's hand written recipes copied onto. That very thoughtful yet simple gift brought tears to everyone's eyes and is a beautiful daily reminder of someone we loved very much.

Unfortunately, in the chaos of Christmas we often do not take the time to think about what might have special meaning for someone. To me it seems it's never actually the gift that brings the joy, its the emotional connection associated with it.  Another special gift I received last year was a beautiful bird feeder from my other daughter, bought, because she knows the huge pleasure I get  from watching and photographing birds.

Some of the best gifts, you cannot even buy, like the gift of our time. If you really want to connect with someone, helping them out is a heart felt way of letting them know we care about them and want to support them. Give someone who needs a break from their kids a coupon for babysitting, take a senior shopping, bake for someone who cannot, or visit friends you know are lonely or isolated. My favourite gifts to give are the ones that I have taken the time to make myself, simple gifts that have a little piece of me in them, like photo cards, framed poetry, or baking. They are gifts that feed my spirit as well.

So if you still have presents you are pondering over, try considering what you want your gift to bring to someone, not what gift you want to bring. Take a moment to think about what might touch their hearts, and  if you want to get fancy, you could even wrap them up with  phone call, a hug, or a visit. Consider that the most endearing gifts are those that build a bridge from one heart to another. The wonderful thing about doing that is, you'll receive as much joy as you give!
Happy Giving my friends!



It's not the fancy ribbon,
or the bows,
or the gift inside
that makes my heart sing
it's the love
you wrapped it in ...

pbowman


No comments:

Post a Comment