Wednesday 27 January 2016

Reaching Out...Let's Talk





Reaching Out


It is Bell Let's Talk Day, and I am so happy that we are finally having great conversations about mental health issues. So many people are suffering silently, and so many others are wanting to be supportive, but not understanding what is going on, or what to do. Often we do not even know a friend or family member has a problem. We may suspect there is an issue, and are puzzled by behaviours, but unable to make sense of them, without the appropriate frame of reference and information. It is a little like trying to support someone with a broken arm if they did not tell us and they were not wearing a cast.
 Both those who suffer from mental illness, and those who care, need to be educated and start sharing with one another. We need to take a leap of faith and reach out to one another and begin the process of healing. There should be no shame or stigma attached to mental health issues, the only shame should be if we judge or do nothing.
Thank you, Bell Let's Talk!




talk to me
I may not fully understand
for I have not walked in your shoes,
but I care deeply,
and I will listen
with an open mind and heart,
 I will lend my courage and strength,
and hold your hand
until the darkness
turns to light 
once more...

pbowman







No comments:

Post a Comment