Thursday 3 March 2016

Being a Mother






Miracle Unfolding




Motherhood brings with it the greatest joys we'll ever experience, but it also gives birth to our greatest fears, insecurities and life lessons. The idea that once you hold your newborn in your arms you are changed forever was not a cliche for me. In fact, the transformation began earlier during the pregnancies, when I, like most mothers, felt a strong bond with my unborn children and a love I could not describe. Holding them was the opportunity to affirm that love and to experience it on a much deeper level. Not to steal a line from the Grinch, but I think being a mom definitely makes your heart grow several sizes! A fairly important upgrade, since motherhood requires tremendous love, sacrifice and humility.

So many of the challenges associated with being a mother can be attributed to the fact that our adorable babies do not come with manuals... and even though our hearts are bigger, we dive into an unknown realm sleep deprived, idealistic, and overly protective. From the moment my girls were born, I felt the responsibility that comes with caring for them. I wanted to be a good mom, and prepare them to be loving, responsible, happy adults.( All this, without a manual) I knew raising children would not be easy, and that I would make mistakes, but I did not realize it would be so difficult to get the information and support all parents desperately need. Interesting, that our government requires us to pass a test to demonstrate we can drive a car, yet we do not have any programs in place to help new parents prepare for the most important role of their lives... I think it would be very beneficial if there were ongoing parenting classes and resources offered ( perhaps even mandatory) to assist parents along the most important journey of their lives. 

I have been a parent for over thirty years now, my children, now adults have created wonderful lives for themselves, so I suppose their dad and I would get a passing grade. I still feel their pain, take pride in their accomplishments, give free advice ( occasionally worth listening to) and want the best for them. No matter their age, or mine, I imagine I will always feel a protective instinct, love them unconditionally and wonder at times if I am doing the right thing. 

After all these years, I also wonder why on Mother's day, our children give presents to us, for they are the gift. To give life to someone, to watch a miracle unfold and have the opportunity to love and be loved unconditionally, is beautiful and life altering. Being a mom has made me a better person, it has enriched my life beyond expectations, it has challenged me, inspired my soul, and yes, made my heart grow bigger. Therefore, I cannot end this without thanking my children for their love, support, acceptance, and forgiveness. I have learned along the way, made plenty of mistakes, and had my share of victories, but most importantly I have realized what a blessing it is to be on this journey with them. 

 Being a mother is a gift that inspires great compassion in our hearts, and the spiritual wisdom and light of our souls. As they have grown, so have I, amidst the joy, angst, fear, pride, and overwhelming love. I just hope my children know, that when Mother's day rolls around, any present they give me is just icing on the cake, because since the day they were born, they are, and always will be, the greatest gift I have ever received.

 





For My Children

I feel blessed
 to be part of 
 a miracle unfolding...
please know
you are wonderful
just the way you are
 your strengths,
and your flaws,
create the perfect
 evolving you...
know that
and you bring joy
and light
 and love 
into the world
with your unique
 and oh so beautiful 
 hearts and souls..

love you more than words...


No comments:

Post a Comment