Tuesday 19 December 2017

Christmas Memories Remembering Our Loved Ones








   The Christmas season has sneaked up on us once again, filling our world with the smell of gingerbread, the lure of sparkling lights, the sound of familiar carols, and the joy of giving to others. It is a season that ignites not only our humanity, but some of our fondest memories as well.

    Like many people, some of my favourite childhood memories are of Christmas. Once a year, our home was transformed into a magical place where wishes and miracles seemed possible. My mom was our magician, and seemed to really love Christmas. I say that with some uncertainty because it is hard to imagine enjoying all the work that must have gone into making Christmas special for four children, especially with a tight budget, and no little elves to help. If my mom didn't love it, we never knew, for that was the one time of the year spirits ran high and we knew we would be spoiled. We merrily indulged in special treats, watched White Christmas together, (which included our own academy award worthy performances of  "Sisters") and embarked on the annual pilgrimage to find a tree that mom would approve of. Our house was always over decorated with lights, garland, tinsel, and my personal favourite, the words "Merry Christmas" written on the living room mirror with bright red lipstick, my mom's signature, (pardon the pun) festive flourish. Christmas Eve, mom's creativity gave way to a special family tradition ( top secret, book to follow) that her children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren still enjoy and look forward to every year.

    My mom passed away many years ago, and I miss her dearly, especially at Christmas. She is with me though, through the traditions I have carried on, through the over decorating, the required viewing of White Christmas, spoiling my own kids, but most importantly, through my love of Christmas. That was one of the greatest gifts she ever gave, and one, I suppose, she never even realized she had given. I will always be so very grateful to my mom for everything she did to make Christmas special, for the precious memories we made, as well as memories made new because of her. She has left an enduring gift of her heart, and it is comforting to feel her presence during this festive time of  year.

    Having lost my mom and as well as many other people very dear to me, I know first hand how very difficult this time of year can be when we are missing a loved one. Our traditions are tied to those we shared them with, and their absence leaves an indescribable void. Even though it has been many years, I still feel a little sadness when I think of my mom, but as time passes the memories bring more smiles and gratitude than sadness. Through my own grieving I have learned that it's important to honour our feelings, and grief's unique path for each one of us. I have also learned to cherish my old memories and traditions, while remaining open to creating new ones. Time does seem to have a magical way of healing.

   To those of you who have experienced a loss recently or in the past, and are having difficulty during the season, my heart goes out to you. I wish you comfort, faith and strength. I hope you own the beautiful light that always shines within, and it becomes stronger than any darkness. I also hope, that with time, your life, and the Christmases to come, are sprinkled more and more, with the peace, light joy and love you once shared.

   Wishing everyone love, joy and good health for Christmas and in the New Year to come.




Missing You

How I miss you,
how bittersweet the memories 
 safely tucked inside my heart,
memories that bring a smile
   often tinged with sadness,
but more, and more
sprinkled ever so sweetly
with  joy,
for when I remember
 I can't help but feel blessed 
   for the time we shared,
 and the precious gift of love,
forever wrapped inside my heart 
from you...






Dedicated with love and gratitude to my mother, for creating such wonderful Christmas memories, and sharing the true spirit and magic of Christmas.







No comments:

Post a Comment