Thursday 4 January 2018

A New Year... Beyond Fear







I love the beginning of a new year. Like spring, (minus the twenty below weather) it inspires a fresh outlook, an opportunity to set new goals and look forward to new adventures. For me that means spending some time focusing inward to connect with the wisdom, guidance, and beautiful energy of my soul. Cold winter days offer great opportunities to curl up and read an inspirational book, meditate or journal. I usually try to incorporate what I have learned into a daily routine or practice. It is not always easy or smooth sailing, but it is always rewarding.

  Ironically, part of moving forward sometimes means we must look back. We must revisit the places where fears originated, decisions were made, and beliefs created. Having done this recently, I was reminded that many of the best things in my life came about when I did not let fear stop me. So many of the things I was afraid of, leaving home for university, tackling some of my co-op work placements, moving eight hours away from my family, becoming a teacher, and sharing my writing, not only greatly enriched my life, but formed the framework for it. Moving beyond our fears can be very difficult, a little like repeatedly walking through doorways when we are not sure of where they will lead us... it does takes courage, but so often, it is the only way we will accomplish our goals and dreams.

  Part of gaining control over our fears, and walking through those doors, involves recognizing them for what they are...just thoughts, thoughts that can hold us hostage, or thoughts we can overcome and move beyond. I remember when I went through my cancer journey, I was very quickly assaulted with fearful thoughts. Reading about melanoma and it's treatment triggered a lot of fear. I made a decision very early on to focus my thoughts on healing and not the disease. I only read inspiring stories of healing, hope and success. I replaced any fear based thoughts with positive mantras and before long, they were what was popping into my mind. At the time I didn't fully understand that I had made one of the most important decisions of my life, I decided to choose love over fear. Once I did, I was able to find an inner strength, and a beautiful sanctuary that promoted positive thoughts, healing, peace, and miracles. I finally began to fully understand what people meant when they said, we are love!

So the next time you notice fear based thinking, be mindful, take a breath, and resist the urge to give it any power. Know that with some effort you can master your thoughts. Know that there is an inner power just waiting for you to tap into. Choose to walk through fears dark embrace into the light, choose love! If you want some help and inspiration try reading one of Gabrielle Bernstein's books, this blog was inspired by her writing. Happy new year, love and light, my friends.




A new year,
a new day,
a new moment,
our life begins again,and again,
 and again,
 with one mindful breath
we can choose to go
beyond fear and darkness
and discover
  the healing peaceful light
that is our truth....
because
 LOVE
 is who we really are!



With gratitude for the part of me that gently holds my hand, and time and time and time again,
leads me to the light...








 

No comments:

Post a Comment