Saturday 9 December 2023

Love, Loss and Warm Fuzzies

 

                                                                             



My beautiful brother in law Michael passed away very suddenly last week, leaving us all in shock, and many of us regretting that we hadn't been in touch more frequently. His death leaves a terrible void in the lives of those who knew and loved him for he was one of those rare individuals who had the gift of being able to light up every room he walked into. With his warm heart and great sense of humor, Michael had a way of putting everyone at ease, so it was always fun to spend time with him. A devoted father, husband, friend, and family man, it seemed as if there were no limits to his generosity and caring. Just thinking about him makes me smile, but also incredibly sad that I will never see him again, or be blessed by one of his big bear hugs.

I doubt that Michael knew what an impact he had on people, especially those who loved him, unfortunately, this is probably true for most people, which makes me think that perhaps one of the gifts that Michael leaves behind is a reminder for us to tell our friends and family what we appreciate about them, and what makes them so special in our lives. I think if we did, a lot of people would be pleasantly surprised not only by the way they are perceived, but the little blessings they are sharing without even realizing it.

 I often wonder why we wait for people to pass on before we sing their praises. When I was teaching, one of my favorite activities with my students was to have them share "warm fuzzies" with one another. This was a simple exercise where they would write down the things they liked about each other on a warm fuzzy note. I wish I had sent Mike a warm fuzzy.

This Christmas, or in the coming New Year, in honor of all the Michaels in our lives, I encourage you to give the gift of a warm fuzzy to the special people in your life. You could place the notes in Christmas cards or stockings, or you could adopt a new habit of telling people why you love and appreciate them. I promise you, it's a gift everyone will love, and one you'll actually be thankful for if it's returned. 


If you are grieving the loss of a loved one this season, my sincere condolences. I hope that in between the waves of grief and loss and pain, waves of joy, peace, and love wash into your heart as well. 


with love and light,

Penny


Michael,

You were such a joyful light

for us all,

every room you walked into lit up

with the enthusiasm and love 

you shared so easily,

I doubt you knew that,

and I doubt if you did 

it would have mattered,

for you seemed to care 

more about just living...

pursuing your passions,

helping others, 

sharing a laugh,

and taking care of those you loved,

Without knowing it

 you helped us all

 see the lighter side of life,

and one of your greatest legacies 

is not just the joy we felt

in your presence...

but the smile that will come,

and the joy that we'll feel

every time we remember you...


with gratitude and love, 

Penny

1 comment: